Friday, June 29, 2007

Bermuda's history is what allures me...

My list of fantasy places I'd love to visit that my father as a pilot was able to venture to, includes the island of Bermuda. I have many pictures of his trips there, and because of his tales of adventure when visiting, the history of Bermuda has been a topic of interest for me. The history is in some ways similar to what other parts of the south and Caribbean experienced with numerous take overs from outside governments with the end result being a mix of a unique culture of it's own. What separates Bermuda from some of it's neighbors though is related to it's culture. Bermuda has a much larger British influence that is still in evidence today. According to my father, Bermuda was more "proper" and it appears in reading resource information found on the Bermuda Guide, they concur with that, stating as an example, stockings and heels for women are worn even given the more warm climate and men wear ties and jackets.

Which even though I'm not a fan of stockings, I'd still love to be able to visit Bermuda some day...

:-)

No comments: