Friday, December 01, 2006

I'm not sorry...well maybe a little...

CNN presents the year in apologies...

And so, a thematic look back at a year in apologies, if you can call them that:

The "I am not a (fill in the blank) apology. The most recent specimen: Michael Richards, aka Kramer from "Seinfeld," who's having an unwanted second moment in the sun with his stunning "n-word" rant. In the first of several apologies, Richards made an awkward appearance on David Letterman's "Late Show" and explained that it was rage at being heckled that sparked his tirade: "I'm not racist -- that's what's so insane about this." (His publicist said Friday he also planned a personal apology to the men he targeted.)

It was the (fill in the substance) talking. Gibson fits in here too. Diane Sawyer eventually got the big interview, and the movie star blamed his problems on alcohol: "Once you're loaded, you know, the balance of how you see things -- it comes out the wrong way." The claim led experts to debate whether booze could actually change one's social beliefs. In any case, Gibson is hardly the only figure this year to attribute his troubles to alcohol.

The "I have a dark side" apology. "There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," the Rev. Ted Haggard wrote his congregation in November amid allegations he consorted with a gay prostitute and snorted meth.


So...I'm sorry that my need to focus on the failings of other humans, inspired by too much diet pepsi since I'm not really a mean person created this post...

:-)

3 comments:

Scott G said...

The best part of Richards' apology is that he said he has never used the word before. You don't go on a tirade like that if you have never done it before.

I had a good apology this year too. I apologized to my boss that she was an idiot because she said that it was my problem if I was still talking about something that hasn't worked right for 6 months. Apparently after a certain amount of time, something is considered fixed here if it is broken long enough.

Cyberseaer said...

I'm sorry that we live in a time where the media finds to better for ratings to point out people's failings and ignore the acts of inspiration that people do because that doesn't sell commericals; where parents have decided to be idiots and give thier children benefits of being irresponsible and hiding the rod of punishment so that the children will grow up to be asshole adults; where the political system makes decisions based on what is good for it's purse and not for the good of the people; where leaders are demanding the censorship of certain words so that four people won't be offended. I am sorry.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Sure Lisa, blame the Diet Pepsi ;-)

It can taste a bit vile though. I prefer Coke Regular, can't stand the unleaded premium at all :-)

I'm sorry, and I apologize.

The caffeine and the sugar made me do it ;-]