Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Using blogs as a propaganda tool...

That's how I see it after reading this Washington Post article. In part it states:

The Qana conspiracy theory not only underscores how the Internet can misinform (an old story), it also reveals a popular demand for online content that attempts to explain away news reports that Israel (and by proxy, its closest ally and arms supplier, the United States) was responsible for the deaths of dozens of women and children in a Hezbollah stronghold.

At a time when American and Israeli public opinion of the war diverge radically from the world opinion elsewhere, the emergence of a right-wing equivalent of the Sept. 11 conspiracy theories is worth noting.


We've seen it happen here in Ohio with the whole Gary Lankford episode in which a post written by Scott at Pullins Report ended up being a source used in an email that got Gary Lankford fired. It almost appears Scott is headed for another round of "making a mountain out of a molehill", or in this case trying to imply that Ted Strickland and his wife are not really "together" and also is trying to imply that she lied to not only the Columbus Dispatch but others which can be proven as false by viewing the Annual Report for Smith Education Enterprises in which Frances "Smith" lists her address as being in...ready for the big shocker? COLUMBUS!

Link though I'm not sure if it will work but it's all there at the site by entering just as Scott Pullins said "Smith Educational Enterprises". Typically most of us post something as a link when it will prove our point, however, in Scott's case it proves that Francis listed her Columbus address. So it's not like she was trying to hide it.

Blogs becoming propaganda machines whether purposeful or not is a concern, rumors someone is gay, rumors of this, rumors of that. The easiest way to kill off the blogosphere is to make it as uncredible as possible. Personally? I have no desire to become the National Enquirer...though Bigfoot or Nessie sightings might be fun...

:-)

13 comments:

Care of Sweety Technician said...

I don't THE really EARTH buy this IS idea that REALLY blogs can FLAT be used PASS as IT propaganda ON.

Unknown said...

I'd try a witty response but you made me laugh too hard.

:-)

Scott G said...

I would try a witty response, but that gave me a headache.

I use my blog for propaganda all the time. I have tried to promote myself for president, pope, and now leader of Cuba. Maybe I need to start some good rumors about myself

Unknown said...

Hate to tell you sweetie but you can't be the next president of Cuba - you hate Corona...

:-)

Scott G said...

I am going to improve their society by introducing them to hefeweizens, microbrews, and Chivas/ Ginger Ales. Other countires will beg me to rule them also

Anonymous said...

Propaganda has been, is, and always will be everywhere.
I like to think of my own blog as: "Roland's Ramblings: The Education, Information, and Political Science Place" - but even so, a person could possibly view it as just more propaganda.

Unknown said...

Roland, you provide information and opinion. I think it would be a very very far stretch to call that propoganda.

:-)

Scott G said...

I suppose it would depend on who was looking at it. I see blogs like Kos and Michelle Malkin's as nothing but propaganda.

Anonymous said...

I am an avid supporter of freedom of speech. None-the-less, the hatred spewing sites really cause me concern. Historymike has done a wonderfully fantastic and admirable job in exposing them for what they are.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Is it really propaganda if you believe it, or is it just sad, so, so sad?

Scott G said...

Just sad

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

In examining the question "Is it really propaganda if you believe it, or is it just sad, so, so sad?" on the broader basis, here is my thought:
When misinformation about factual matters (as opposed to opinions) is intentionally provided, it is propaganda. When people believe that propaganda with reckless disregard to its veracity, that is sad.
For folks to state the Holocaust did not happen and claim that the Holocaust is a Jewish propaganda tool is in itself propaganda. And when people believe the Holocaust is Jewish propaganda, that is sad.