Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Yes, I'm still alive yet my new net connection is not...

First I realize internet is not one of those basic human necessities, though for me it's important. We've also well established the fact that I was not ready to move yet. However, I did arrrange for internet at the new place prior to the move. I actually thought I'd be ahead of the game and therefore guarantee that I would have internet at the house when we did move. (That was my first mistake believing I had that covered.) What appears to be my second mistake was deciding to not go with SBC now ATT for the dsl. Earthlink offered a cheaper monthly deal and at a higher speed than what I was getting now. The dsl was supposedly activiated at the house days ago - the modem finally arrived on Monday. It looks like the older lines that the house has can't handle it. Phone reception when the dsl is plugged in is horrible (yes I am using the filters) and the one computer we took over to the house won't connect. Dial up would work but I have this thing about tying up the phone line incase one of my kids needs me. So, I apologize to all of you I owe emails, especially you C - as my net time is now limited to when I'm over at the old place until this is resolved which will hopefully happen before we are totally moved out of the old place.

Why Earthlink appears to be a mistake is their customer support has been horrible and I know the problem is not with the computer as they are trying to tell me. The computer over there worked here and even if something very screwy happened (which given my life is always possible) a bad ethernet card is not going to make the phone line clarity issue happen. Further as a former call center employee who did level one tech support for cable internet, I understand the job of a basic tech support person very well. However...if you cannot speak ENGLISH then perhaps you should be doing tech support for the specific language group that appears to be your primary language. Yes, that is probably why Earthlink can offer a cheaper deal than ATT, because they obviously are not spending much money on quality customer support, so I am thankful that I can cancel within the first 30 days without violating a contract as it appears I am headed in that direction. There is one aspect of Earthlink that they seem to be johnny on the spot on - taking the money from my account for the dsl. They were pretty darn quick and efficient when it came to that. :-)

More pictures soon, especially the "pepto pink room" that Aubrey selected that now has one of those pink net canopy thingies that hangs from the ceiling. Though the rest of us non-pink lovers are debating how long it will be after we move the cats over (not even going to broach that topic) before they discover how fun it could be to try to take their extremely fat cat asses up to the top of the net.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate moving?

8 comments:

Subcomandante Bob said...

We at Toledo Tales have called off the search party, Lisa.

BTW - thanks for the TT plug in last week's Toledo Free Press.

Scott G said...

I hate moving so much that I am still not done unpacking from our move in 2001.

I have been sad because noone visits when you are away.

Go Mudhens

Unknown said...

Bob you are welcome and remember my standing offer to camp out in my backyard.

:-)

Scott, I miss being online too and visiting you. Pesky Puerto Ricans who want to move before their wives have internet!

Care of Sweety Technician said...

moving definately sucks... And more for cats... My two of my three cats ended up going through an alpha cat status reorganization that was hampered by the inopportune visit of my mother in law and her old Schnauser (that took all for a loop). After many days, the old alpha remains alpha, the non-alpha has been very cranky, and our third cat remains MIA, presumably under some type of siege in the basement, or under one of the beds... we haven't been able to figure it out...

Cyberseaer said...

You just can't to catch a break when trying to upgrade your life a little it seems. This will pass and you will get the good dsl service and speed the net like the white winged Greek horse that I cannot spell right or this sentence would be a lot shorter than this long dragged out piece od gabage that it is.

I might suggest Verizom FIOS service. Check to see if your area can handle it. I have it and it blows away dsl and cable. About $40 a month with a download speed max of 20M and max upload speed of 5M per minute. I average about 11M to 12M a minute downloading. I love it.

Ok I will leave before I am accused of being a Verizon rep. Good luck and get back on the net soon.

Unknown said...

Kate, only time I'm on right now is when I am at the apartment. Like now I'm finishing up packing more stuff.

C - I can't get verizon where I live - I tried them. I can get cable which I might have to do, which is more but it would avoid the whole phone line issues. ATT can't send someone out for at least ten days to redo the lines.

At least I'm almost done packing stuff. It would go faster if I had any help but the upside is I at least will know where things are.

:-)

Aaron said...

Once again, I can sympathise...its been 3 weeks since I had internet access at the place where I call home. My wife and I are absolutely giddy heh heh heh, how do people live with out the internet? Why would they want to? haa haa

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

"Have I ever mentioned that I hate moving?"

I didn't think (at this point) that you had to ;-)

You know, there are alternate (easier) ways of adapting older houses to accomodate DSL, if you're willing to choose one connection place for your computer...