Friday, July 22, 2005

Following up on Leonard Clark situation.

Thanks to NPR station KJZZ's Rene Gutel, an update on Leonard Clark is listed on the above link. Her previous story, the update and the release from CENTCOM can be found there. Rene was one of the first reporters to cover this story and I'm glad she provided the update. There has not been alot of media attention about this since the inital reports of his detention.

If you read the press release it states what he was charged with:

Article 92 (Failure to obey order), 11 specifications; by releasing classified information regarding unit soldiers and convoys being attacked or hit by an improvised explosive devices on various dates, discussing troop movements on various dates, releasing Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures and Rules of Engagement used by the unit on various dates, in violation of a lawful general order prohibiting the release of such information.

Article 134 (Reckless endangerment), 2 specifications; by releasing specific information, on various dates regarding Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures and Rules of Engagement used by his unit and encouraging its widespread publication, such that the enemy forces could foreseeably access the information, such that with that information it was likely that the enemy forces could cause death or serious bodily harm to U.S. forces engaged in the same or similar mission.


It also states he was found guilty and did not appeal. His sentence/punishment was reduction to Private First Class (E-3), forfeiture of $820 per month for two months, 45 days restriction, and 45 days of extra duty. Both the restriction and extra duty were suspended for five months.

The blog was not mentioned as part of the press release. According to Rene, there was also an email sent by Leonard Clark that states he will not be writing about Iraq or the war while he is in Iraq. All previous posts on his blog, including recent ones linking KJZZ's first report and the one article from Arizona Republic have been removed.

For those wondering about Khalid Jarrar, the Iraqi blogger who has been arrested in Iraq, last information is that he is still being held. No charges have yet been filed. His brother has stated they are expecting more information soon.

9 comments:

Subcomandante Bob said...

I don't know about Leonard Clark, but Walter Matthau has been awful quiet lately.

And, just because he's dead doesn't mean he can't help Leonard Clark.

What the hell is wrong with me???

Unknown said...

Hmmm I'd bet it has something to do with paint chips.

:-)

Scott G said...

I am still torn on this guy. Something is missing and I want to know what it is. The guy is either really stupid or really arrogant. I find it harder to believe that he is a crusader for a just cause if he just accepted his guilt. You would think he would want the trial to get all the information out there

Unknown said...

It appears he gave up rather easily as far as emailing stating he was not going to write about Iraq or the war anymore and not appealing the sentence/punishment.

So yep to me there is still more that we don't know. I'd like to find out more details on the charges but given how long it's taken for this much to come out not sure if that will be released.

Unknown said...

I don't know if you read this me4 but this is from Kevin who is the friend of Leonard's who set up the blog for him and initially reported he was arrested.

Kevin's last comment

Scott G said...

Not until just now. I still don't know. It all seems so shady. Like a couple anti-war people wanted to make a statement and didn't know what they were doing. Maybe I am just too cynical

Unknown said...

I share your feelings on it -- this still doesn't pass the "smell test" but not sure exactly where the real problem is.

When I first heard about it, it sounded so cut and dried but the more I find out? The more I still continue to wonder.

Cyberseaer said...

I know that alot of people think of government cover up here, and maybe they are right. But, if I recall correctly, he has a family and must think of them first. He has acceptted a guilty verdict and will face the consenquences. He may have fought the verdict, but then what about his family. He still must provide for them.

In the end, he did what he felt was right. First by posted on the website, contining it, and paying the price of it all. The phrase "To Thinself be true" isn't some old doddle that was written hundreds of years ago. A person must answer to himself. The only person's opinion in this is Leonard's. All the other opinion is just static to him.

If this happened to him when I was single, I might think of him as blowhard who choked in the end. But with a family of my own, ideals are harder to follow when it comes to the safty and security of others you love. Most single people wouldn't have even had started what he did. If it came to family, than I do not think that he should regret his decision.

Unknown said...

I don't know c...given he was warned then continued after warning I'm not sure exactly what happened. I would have understood after the warning if family came into it, and maybe that is part of that once he realized they were really serious he decided it wasn't worth fighting.

I don't think this is a government cover up though, I think this is a situation where a huge deal was made about it being about the blogging when in reality from the charges at least, it appears to be different. I only know what the charges state on the press release and no real details.

When he returns to the states I guess we'll find out more. I am however really surprised all of the blogs/media that made this such a huge issue have not covered this part of it. Rene is the only one I've seen that has reported the Article 15 aspect of it.