Sunday, June 07, 2009

Tuxedo or Jellicle cats...

The amusing things people believe when it comes to one particular kind of cat caught my attention, in part because my home is experiencing a cat war because of a tuxedo cat. First most of the cats people call "tuxedo cats" are not really so, to be a true tuxedo cat, the cat has to have a solid black coat with white fur on the paws, belly, chest and throat. In other words, it has to look like the cat is actually wearing a tuxedo.

Fans of these cats have made some outrageous statements, such as tuxedo cats are 200% more intelligent than other cats and that the google search term for tuxedo cats is slightly less than Paris Hilton. I've had many cats, the variations of their intellectual ability has never appeared to have been a factor...if anything my Siamese cats appeared to be smarter than the others, or at least more crafty...

These black and white cats are also called by some to be Jellicle Cats, based on the book Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, written by T. S. Eliot, which of course inspired the musical "Cats."

Our tuxedo cat is named "Yoko" and some of you will remember how I ended up with her living here in disharmony with my other cats. Yes, this is the cat that my ex-husband bought for my youngest without my consent and left in a taped up box on my porch because he moved into an apartment that didn't take cats and couldn't be responsible enough to either a) find a home for the cat or b) rent someplace that allowed cats. Perhaps because she was used to being an only cat or perhaps just because she's so much younger than my other cats (who range in age from 8 to 18), she picks on them, to the point three of them are afraid to use the litter boxes in the basement because she was lying in wait for them and then attacking them when they tried to use it. This has caused a great deal of hassle, and discussion which resulted in creating a Yoko free zone, which is unfortunately my bedroom. At least until we move into the house we are renovating that won't be done for months, but perhaps then since the house is twice as big as the one we have now, either there will be more peace or a bigger area for her to be territorial over...

No comments: