Saturday, August 23, 2008

Melissa predicts more alienation...I agree

I don't spend as much time over at Shakesville as I used to before I created my local political blog, but at times Melissa writes something that I've had a chance to see that strikes home. This post is one of those times:
I also feel coming down the tracks more alienation from former allies because of it. For months and months I have read rejections of Clinton because she supported the war, but I suspect that those making the argument will not now reject Obama because he put one of its cheerleaders on his ticket. For months and months I have read rejections of Clinton because she and/or her husband are racist, but I suspect those those making the argument will not now reject Obama because he put a man who says things like this or this or this or this, all within the last two years, on his ticket. For months and months I have read exhortations that I must vote for Obama because he will protect reproductive rights in a way McCain won't, but I suspect those who have beat me with that cudgel will not now reject Obama because he put on his ticket a man who does not support federal funding for abortion and supported the "partial-birth abortion" ban even without protections for the health/life of the mother.

With most of my focus on local politics and less time posting here, I've avoided some of the drama and the attacks but the feeling of alienation is there. I've caught myself wondering how could some of the women I know who claim to be feminists and so supportive of women's rights not see some of the things I'm seeing. Part of the conclusion is a few are posers, the other conclusion? They bought into the hype and now, no matter what happens, they don't want to admit they have concerns, at least not on blogs.

At first I told myself it's because I'm older, I remember the Clarence Thomas Hearings that for me were very memorable because I remember how Anita Hill was treated. That is of course not enough to judge Biden on all these years later, but he hasn't done anything exceptionally stellar since that time. He's a career politician, exactly the sort of person we didn't want...His position on the death penalty is one I don't support, I don't believe drug trafficking should warrant the death penalty. He voted for the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 and I could go on, but I think I've demonstrated my lack of enthusiasm.

Yet, even those who don't remember the Clarence Thomas hearings are not thrilled, one of my daughter's reaction to Biden was stronger than mine...Like Melissa, as my ability to keep my mouth shut weakens, I'll probably piss some people off but? I'm so tired of hearing "it could be worse" when it comes to electing a president...

No comments: