Friday, November 02, 2007

John Mellencamp cares about the homeless

Sigh...I'm participating in an event called "Tent City" that I blogged about on my other blog, Glass City Jungle it's being organized by the Homeless Awareness Project through the Toledo Area Alliance To End Homelessness. My husband and I are volunteering tomorrow night to serve dinner, and I got a phone call from a friend who is volunteering tonight and Sunday that John Cougar Mellencamp was there at Tent City as a surprise visitor. While I'm really sad that I missed having the chance to see him, it was awesome to learn that Mellencamp invited the homeless to his concert tonight and stayed around to do some meet and greeting with those there. It shows he does do more than just give lip service caring about other people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oye vey! i would be too! the show was great. he mentioned visiting t-town. i was searching for a review of the concert but i haven't found any. take care, beth

Life sure goes fast. said...

I was looking for a Mellencamp concert review as well! IT'S KILLING ME: 2 GREAT CONCERTS FROM MY FAVORITE BANDS AND ME WITH NOT A DIME TO GO AND SEE THEM (Styx was at the Stranahan last Friday).
I'd just gotten a phone call from my friend in Tennessee and he was the one who told me about John Mellencamp visiting tent city. So to make matters worse, I REALLY wanted to go there and volunteer, I BEGGED my teenager to go with me and do it as a family event, and she didn't want to, and I'm too much of a big baby to go just about anywhere by myself, or I would have been there to see him too. It really did touch my heart that he made an appearance there, but didn't surprise me a bit. he always has been a humanitarian, and I am proud to say that I have been a fan for years.
Thanks for blogging about it Lisa! Your post was listed 3rd on a Google search.
Keep up the great blogging!
TTownRobin