Monday, November 26, 2007

First a tie now cufflinks...

It surprised me when my 13 year old asked for a tie for Christmas, then I realized that is the style now for many girls to wear a dress shirt or even a t-shirt with a tie. Though her school will not let her wear a tie, only boys can which of course I have to agree with her makes no logical sense. When she then asked for cufflinks to be able to wear with the dress shirt, I couldn't help pondering if the school would again take issue with that, and it drives home to me one of the main reasons I don't like the uniform dress code policy that her school has. It's not only not enforced with any sort of "uniformity" but any slight attempt at being an individual is stifled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have despised the dress code since the day it started! If it were enforced 100% across the board, it might not be so bad, but since it's not it annoys me that much more! But like you said, my main reason for opposing it from day one is that it takes away a kids ability to be an individual. Yes, I do know that many will say "tough luck" and that in the working world a uniform or some type of dress code is mandatory. But kids NEED to be allowed to be kids because they are already pushed into adult type roles at a much earlier age than you or I ever were! And it has been proven that the uniforms in no way conduct a better learning atmosphere, so they need to just get rid of them!