Friday, August 17, 2007

Seven in 10 have no problem with surveillance cameras

I suppose this shouldn't surprise me, but it did, this recent poll on Surveillance Cameras: Fighting Crime or Invading Privacy?. I tend to believe that we should be more careful in how quickly we are willing to give our privacy away, so I'd be one of those three out of ten.

Support for more closed-circuit cameras in public places is shared across the political and ideological spectrum. Two-thirds of liberal Democrats support the measure as do 85 percent of conservative Republicans. In addition, 72 percent of moderates and 71 percent of independents favor the proposal.

Although support is widespread, some groups are less supportive than others. Among those under age 35, 63 percent support the plan, but it's 79 percent of those age 55 and up. Blacks are less likely than whites to support surveillance. And while two-thirds of city-dwellers support an increase in cameras, suburbanites are even more supportive.

2 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I support surveillance cameras in public places, however private property surveillance should be left to the property owner.

Scott G said...

I am torn on this. I think they are in general a good thing, but I would be worried that they could go too far with the power. I support them as a tool, but just worry that like every other surveillance technology, it can be misused.