Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A junket to Jamaica...

Ever since I watched the movie "Cool Runnings" about the Jamaican bobsled team, I've always wondered what it would be like to actually visit Jamaica. For me when I watch a movie about a location I wonder, is it really like that? From a political junkie standpoint, the political history of Jamaica has also been of interest to me, the islanders have endured quite a few moments of upheaval and change yet have been able to still try to maintain their economy through tourism.

When I was reading more in the Jamaica Guide I couldn't help but notice that the movie I mentioned above that increased my interest in Jamaica is also mentioned under the culture of Jamaica section of the guide. Apparently I'm not the only one who has had dreams of what it would really be like to visit there and I also had to admit Rastafari intrigues me, it would be awesome to meet someone there and be able to talk with them about this religion. Then of course I'd want to spend time on the beaches...All politics/religion and no play would be an impossible task given how amazing the island looks in pictures.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Went to Jamaica on my honeymoon cruise. Climbed a really big waterfall. Swam with dolphins. Have no desire to ever go back.

They actually told us on the cruise "do not leave your tour group or you might not make it back to the ship [alive]." Seriously.

I've heard the same thing from people who have stayed in resorts. They tell you to NOT leave the resort grounds.

It was pretty scenery...but not a top spot on my "must visit again" list.

My favorite memory though is this: My husband and I were walking back to our tour bus when a cabbie says to us:
"Hey mon, need a cab?"
US: "No. thanks."
Him: "Need some pot?"
US: NO!