Thursday, May 10, 2007

Tony Blair to step down as British Prime Minister...

I know that this headline was pretty much expected,
Britain's Blair Announces His Resignation
and I can't help wondering how this will change what happens as far as the middle east. Blair alludes to this as quoted in the Washington Post article:
He also defended his strong alliance with the Bush administration in Afghanistan and Iraq, saying he still believed it was right to "stand shoulder-to-shoulder with our oldest ally" in the controversial U.S.-led fight against global terrorism even if the Iraq War is "bitterly controversial."

"For many it simply isn't and can't be worth it. For me, I think we must see it through," Blair said. "They, the terrorists who threaten us here and around the world, will never give up if we give up. It is a test of will and of belief and we can't fail it." He added: "Hand on heart, I did what I thought was right . . . I may have been wrong. That's your call. But believe one thing, if nothing else: I did what I thought was right for our country."


It's also interesting to take a look at the headlines and the "grabber" link text used for this announcement:

Blair: My political journey is over from CNN. (Their link to the story stated, "Blair:Ten years is enough)

British Prime Minister Tony Blair to Step Down on June 27 on Fox News (Their link stated "Blair calls it a decade")

After decade in power, Blair to quit on June 27 on MSNBC (Link text, UK's Blair to quit in June)

British PM Blair to Resign After 10 Years on ABC News (Link, Blair Resigns; Will New PM Be U.S. Friend?)

A few examples...

No comments: