Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Muslim women discover US does not always mean freedom...

I think it's important to point out that abusive spouses are not one race or one heritage or socio-economic group or even one religion, it's a deeper issue than just one group of people. Yet as this Washington Post article, entitled, For Some Muslim Wives, Abuse Knows No Borders shows us, there is an increased pressure in some immigrant communities to take abuse or to have additional reasons to fear leaving an abuser.

Especially the community response when a woman leaves:
In Shireen's case, even a college degree and a good job could not fend off the demands of family and community bent on fitting her into a traditional Muslim mold. Now that she finally has freed herself from an unhappy match, she said, she has become a pariah to the family that once hovered around her.

"I know I was stupid to give in, but you get overwhelmed by all the pressure," she said. "Now I have been totally shunned. I embarrassed my husband in the eyes of the community. It doesn't matter why I left him or what he did to me. Even in America, you can't always get away from home."

5 comments:

roman said...

I believe that men that beat on their wives should be tagged and then taken to a contained arena where wife loving men can take turns beating the crap out of that individual so that the next itme he raises his hand towards a woman he would immediately think twice before attempting a wrongful act.

Yes I like to rant and vent most of the time but men like him should man up and meet me for a little one on one, trust me his current deck of cards are going to be removed and he will be handed a new one. That way when he lays them on the table the next time he can see that his past will not exist.

Cyberseaer said...

Sounds good to me, roman. Just like castrating rapists with dull rusty knives. But that pesky cause in the Constitution that states there will be no unusual punishment always gets in the way of great ideas.

Cyberseaer said...

Again, failure to proof read makes a good point moot. (sigh)

Unknown said...

It was still good, and I think that you and my hubby would have a good time in person.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

cyberseaer,

Respecting the "pesky" Constitution is what keeps us from becoming them.