Monday, March 05, 2007

Obama, Clinton, Bloody Sunday and I can't help but say bleh...

Two Presidential candidates despite the facade of saying this wasn't going to be political made Bloody Sunday political, according to the title linked Washington Post article. I really can't justify either one doing this though it could at least be said that Bill Clinton had a reason to be there considering he was being inducted into the National Voting Rights Museum and I know I've made it clearly obvious I'm not a fan of Obama for many reasons, yet the more I read the less I like him. He wasn't born in Selma, while he tries to identify somehow with the American Civil rights movement by claiming his mother's family used to own slaves and his father came from Kenya because of the Civil Right's movement, he's once again using his race to try to make it appear as if he is something he's not.
"This is the site of my conception. I am the fruits of your labor," Obama told an audience of civil rights movement veterans. "When people ask me if I've been to Selma before, I tell them I'm coming home."

Which once again created a situation where an aide had to later clarify what Obama really meant, that the senator did not mean to imply that his birth was a literal result of the Selma marches but rather of the movement overall. Considering he was already three years old at the time Selma happened it's kind of hard to explain how he was "conceived" at an event that happened three years after his birth, or to explain this one:
Something stirred across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks were willing to march across a bridge," Obama said, explaining that, as a result, his parents "got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born." Earlier in the day at a prayer breakfast, the Illinois Democrat said: "If it hadn't been for Selma, I wouldn't be here."

Considering his parents were already married by then it's also confusing to see how supposedly Selma created his parents getting together...but that's the magic of political speeches...

No comments: