Sunday, November 05, 2006

I should have known Miguel was one of those *gasp*

I saw this on the nightly news tonight and it made me laugh so I'm sharing it in the title link:

A new process of targeting voters based on the consumer choices that they make is giving political strategists new ways to target voters, according to "Good Morning America."

The information, which will help determine if a person is either a Republican or Democrat, is called micro-targeting.

Dr. Pepper -- Republican

Sprite -- Democrat

Pro Wrestling -- Democrat

Monster Trucks -- Republican

Wal-Mart Shoppers -- Republican

Coors -- Republican

U.S. Open -- Democrat

College Football -- Republican

Audi -- Republican

Saab -- Democrat

Organic food shopper -- White Democratic

TV Guide -- Democrat

U.S. News and World Report -- Republican

The report indicated that political affiliation is learned by a compilation of consumer habits and not just one shopping preference.

It is also likely that this type of research will be used for the 2008 election.


I hate to tell them but all this did was make me laugh. I love football including college football, I don't like Sprite at all, I think purchasing most organic food is a waste because it's over priced and I shop at Wal-Mart at times. I also hate both Saab's and Audi's and I wouldn't waste my time on TV Guide. Pro-wrestling and Monster Trucks are both awesome.

What is either funnier or scary depending on how deep you want to take this is that these types of assumptions are being made to microtarget us including using what information can be gathered on our personal shopping and internet searches. Which considering how much research I do on strange things I'm sure has put me on several "watch lists".

:-)

8 comments:

Mark said...

I agree with the laughing part. Then again, being independent...of course we don't fit!
;-)

Scott G said...

I also seem to be Republican by that. Although, I am also an Independent.

Unknown said...

Likely story...you are both Republicans!

(hehehe)

:-)

Scott G said...

I am obviously a Republican. Just like those that gay bash the loudest, I am in the closet.

Unknown said...

You, Miguel and Stephanie in the closet...

:-)

Mark said...

I guarantee they could not have predicted my votes via microtargeting. Mark couldn't have even predicted it.

Mark said...

Hey now! I read that! That implies something else entirely, and all three of us are married! Tsk, tsk.

But, since Dr. Pepper is the only thing you listed that even applies to me at all...I guess I'm a Republican after all. *sigh*

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I managed to defy targeting as I drink both Dr. Pepper and Sprite, hate both of the cars cited, and the rest don't apply to me.

Hehehe!

I guess that confirms my independence ;-)

(Hooda drops the laptop, raises clenched fists high in the air and screams, “I’m party FREEEEEEEEE!”)