Thursday, September 14, 2006

Chai and me, it started out so innocently...on Link Lovin Thursday

In doing some of the in person stuff I have been doing for Glass City Jungle, one of the easiest places for me to get to and to meet people has been some of the local coffeehouses. Mainly it's been one of the several Beaner's Locations though I also like Downtown Latte. I like to try new things but...after I had the Chai? I haven't tried anything else, well except alternating between the hot Chai and iced Chai.

Yet, I don't get to go to Beaner's or Downtown Latte daily...hence Chai in the house.





Pacific Chai is very good, however Kroger Grocery store also has one of their store brand versions that is pretty darn close and less expensive. I have not become gourmet enough in my chai to go beyond instant...

So then I started wondering...what is this stuff that I am becoming so addicted to? Yes, probably something I should have checked out before but never too late.

I headed over to Wikipedia, and learned that the spiced Chai I enjoy so much is not the most popular Chai in India. That would come in handy if I ever went to India. :-)

Then I saw an interesting link about the health benefits of Chai, me actually enjoy something that is healthy? As I started to read the information:

There's no disputing the health benefits of tea, though. There have been no less than 2000 studies done to confirm those health benefits in the past year. Black tea, the main ingredient in the chai tea recipe, contains the most powerful antioxidants that science knows. Tea and chai tea help prevent and fight many different kinds of cancer, lower cholesterol and high blood pressure may reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease and are being studied for their ability to boost the immune system. That's an awful lot of goodness - and it's just a start.

The fact is that every ingredient in the chai tea recipe is good for you, and when you put them all together they pack a powerful punch for your immune system.

The next time you're considering a hot, spicy, sugar free beverage, think exotic AND healthy, and brew up a cup of delicious,
(and I'm thinking wow, not only does it taste great but is good for me? Then...) sugar-free chai. Both your body and your taste buds will thank you.

I'm pretty sure mine is not sugar free...now I'm wondering if I even want to know how many calories is in it...Okay, I looked, 130 calories, I can live with that.

Have some chai, you might enjoy it...and it could possibly be healthy for you too.

:-)

And if you don't like Chai or do like Chai but have a post you want to share ala OTA style? You know what to do...or head over to the The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns, hmmm wonder if Sam likes Chai?

Well, we don't know if Planck's Constant likes Chai or not, but they do have a link they want to share, TT - 13 Converts to Islam...

Tor stopped by to comment and to share a link to Fences Keep Illegal Immigrants In Too. It's an excellent post so head on over.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that there is another "Chai" that wikipedia does not mention?
You may find it over here.

Unknown said...

I saw a link for jewelry when I was searching but I didn't go further into that "Chai", thanks Roland. Maybe that should be my next symbol for a necklace.

:-)

Anonymous said...

de nada.

Cyberseaer said...

What happened to plain old coffe and Lipton Tea. Are they Un PC as well? Not knocking the stuff you drink, Lisa, but I don't want to hear that Lipton Tea is bad for you since it is made by a captialistic company that must have put something really toxicly bad that will give us seventy-three different types of cancer and destroys the blue eye color gene so that blue eyed chilren will be no more within three generations.

Ok, you got me, I'm bored at class.

Unknown said...

I still drink regular old coffee in the morning and ice tea at times too. But I've been replacing some of my diet pepsi consumption with the Chai.

So if it's unpc? I'm semi-unpc...

:-)

Unknown said...

SURVIVOR Time tonight too C...

:-) Don't worry no spoilers.

Tor said...

Which of the groups is most likely to be drinking chai?

My wife makes homemade chai. I drink it sometimes, but I mostly just like to smell it.

In_Flight said...

true, but can the health benefits of instant chai be as sucessful?

Unknown said...

tor, I agree the smell alone is awesome and phil, it might not be that healthy with the instant but I can at least pretend.

:-)

Scott G said...

I love Chai. I started drinking it while I was in the Army. My lieutenant and I used to drink Chai and debate important stuff

Unknown said...

My friend Holly came over today and we had a blast drinking mass quantities of Chai...she prefers the spiced over the vanilla...

I think I have now encouraged her into becoming one of us Chai lovers...

:-)

Scott G said...

I also drink Liptons and I use my Home Cafe for occasional coffee, but there is magic in Chai. The LT and I would have shitty days and then go get a Chai and just smelling it as it was handed to us made it all better. Kind of like a kiss from mom on a cut or a sucker after getting shots

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I've never tried more than one sip of coffee, but I will drink tea, usually in the Winter.

I like regular but have my share of herbals in the cupboard too.

However I prefer my tea with honey, at a ratio of approximately 1 to 1, which begs the question, "Do I like to drink teas, or honey?"

I think that the answer is obvious :-)

Maybe I should give this Chai a taste, straight, before I get out the old honey jar...