Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Jeffs finally caught and Karr thoughts

Warren Jeffs was finally caught but I don't think that will attract the same media attention as we just experienced with the whole Karr frenzy.

Jeffs is wanted for:

arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old girl and a married man, and unlawful flight to avoid prosecution. He is charged in Utah with two felony counts of rape as an accomplice, for allegedly arranging the marriage of a teenage girl to an older man in Nevada.

Considering the media frenzy over Karr, I found this Howard Kurtz article ironic since he's taking them to task for:

This was such a sham, from the opening moments, that it instantly goes down with the greatest media embarrassments in modern history.

What is ironic? He doesn't mention any of the contributions the Washington Post made...

the emails, Karr's family even the former landlord, were a part of the numerous articles written by the Washington Post, including where Andrew Cohen said it was time to apologize to the Ramsey's.

I don't think the media or even the blogs for that matter will learn anything from the Karr fiasco. We seem to be a country that rushes to judgement via the media yet one that is very reluctant to take any responsibility for being a part of it. Over 1,000 recent blog posts on Technorati about Karr...202 for Jeffs...

If you want more information on what kind of a person Warren Jeffs is - here and here are good places to start.

6 comments:

Scott G said...

That is what I like about the media beating the DA up today. Before she had even said a word when he was arrested, the media had convicted him and done all they could to make him look guilty.

Cyberseaer said...

I had my doubts that Karr was the killer. It's been almost a decade and the police get this big break, because Karr doesn't want to face justice in Bangkok and confesses to come back in the US, at the expense of tax payers. I hope that the Bangkok police get him back to face justice there after the whole CA thing is done.

As for Jeffs, I don't need to know about this in NJ. There was a time when local news stayed local. Now if someone farts wrong, the morning newscasts have an alert out for all to know. I say make TV pay-per-view or subscription based and all this crap on the news won't affect the rest of the country as much.

I have stopped watching TV news regularly when the CO police screwed up the Ramsey case ten years ago and the media wouldn't stop "reporting" it until it was boring or Micheal Jackson touched someone again.

Scott G said...

That Jeffs guy is very important since even Dr Phil was after him :-)

I thought that Karr's motivation was a little insanity and a little not wanting to face Thai justice. I am also going to confess to see if I get a free trip to Colorado. I have some friends I need to visit and some microbreweries to check in on.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Karr is just a guy who wanted to make sure that he got his 15 minutes of fame; or, would that be infamy?

In Internet Engrish, a reel looser ;-)



I can't really fault him for his attraction to young women, only for acting on it.

Every guy likes young women, but most of us leave it at admiration, from a safe distance.

(Safe meaning, safe for both parties...)

Mark said...

Karr didn't interest me much. It seemed very unlikely that he was the culprit responsible, considering that he had an alibi that even he couldn't explain away (at least according to the one article I read...don't know from where).

Then again, I've been staying away from the news lately, so I didn't get sucked into the hype.

Jeffs seems a bit more interesting. Hopefully that one goes more smoothly. Then again, Jon Benet was a pretty little thing that got hype all on her own. It's a shame really. She was exploited in life, and again and again in death. I wonder if the whole affair gave anyone a moment of pause.

Scott G said...

They paused for a second to find out who to blame for jumping to conclusions and making something big out of an iffy story.