Thursday, July 06, 2006

The wonders of the internet...

A short time ago, my youngest daughter, Aubrey, wanted to go get the mail. She announced there was a huge bug near the door. Figuring it was probably not "huge", I was surprised to discover he or she is kind of big. So after grabbing the camera which actually did not have dead batteries is so often the case when we need it:




Thanks to an awesome site called What's That Bug we were able to determine that we had a:

Pandora Sphinx, Eumorpha pandorus, formerly the genus Pholus, and sometimes called the Satellite Sphinx. It is a beautiful olive green and pink moth that rarely flies after dark, preferring dusk to feed on flowers. The larvae feed on Virginia Creeper and grape and adults fly from June to August in the north and longer in the south.

Aubrey of course wants to keep it, that's not going to happen. I'm not sure if it is injured or what, but it doesn't appear to want to move. So, we are going to leave it alone and see what happens.

:-)

5 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

Thanks for the site info.

Please let us know what "develops."

Unknown said...

He or She flew away so I guess they must have just been resting.

It was one of the larger moths I've seen.

:-)

Cyberseaer said...

Ugly sucker that was. Hey, don't you have moving, painting, emailing, repairing, or something to do? :)

Unknown said...

I've been packing off and on all day as well as throwing junk out. And we just got back from a few hours over at the house working on the doors again. They aren't turning out like I wanted, there was a lot more damage under the paint on a few of them so my plan to refinish them might not be possible. I'm hoping Saturday will be moving day.

:-)

Zebster said...

Just sauntered in from Watchblog to have a look around. Nice moth.
I keep telling my Libertarian friends they're closer in ideology to me the independent liberal than to conservative Republicans. And the more I look around the more liberal libertarians I find.