Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My first major color failure at the new house...

Up until today I was happy with how almost every color turned out. I had a temporary issue with the one accent wall in the dining room but fixed that with a sponging technique. I wasn't crazy about the shade of pink Aubrey wanted for her room but it was her room so I can handle what I am now calling the Pepto Pink room. I lost the battle of wanting one wall this really awesome purple called "Nostalgia" in the bathroom (Miguel thru a fit) so we compromised on a lighter almost gray lilac with light blue.

Until my "Colorado Tan" that I wanted for my bedroom looked like someone thru orange sherbert on my wall. I don't know if the girl messed up in the coloring or what but it didnt look like the color I picked out at all. The walls are covered with that white plaster spray stuff so it's not a color bleeding thru. So I stopped. I waited to see if it looked better once it dried and it didn't. Back to Home Depot I go tomorrow to first see if the paint was mixed wrong and if it wasn't? Time for a different color...something definitely not orange sherberty...

:-)

7 comments:

Scott G said...

I keep trying to get my wife to let me paint the one wall by our bed red and then the rest a navy or black.

Unknown said...

Red and Black are really hard to do, you have to get special primer and everything and have to do several coats to have it look right. However, I have seen it done right and it can look really sharp.

I like the darker colors too but that pesky Puerto Rican...considering he freaked over the dark purple for just one tiny little bathroom wall...

:-)

Anonymous said...

I hate it when a color is "off". I had that happen with a faux treatment on an accent wall in our living room: the paint was fine, but the glaze was wrong. Rather than make the 80-mile round trip to somewhere that could mix it right, I took my collection of acrylics and tinted it so that it worked. Was royal pain, but for one wall, not unendurable.

Cyberseaer said...

Tan??? I like my white walls so I don't pay attention to the walls. Better Pepto Pink than Piss Yellow. My wife painted the hall walls from dark navy blue (which was really cool looking) to viatimine enriched pee yellow color and expanded it to the kitchen. So when someone comments how pretty the kitchen walls are, I say thank you I just whipped it out and peed on them. Took me four days to finish the job. My wife doesn't like that joke. ;)

Unknown said...

Given I hate yellow, especially the color of yellow you described, I'd probably rather have even the orange sherberty walls than that.

Going from Navy to that color was a pretty big change, yet I can picture you telling people that...lol

It wasn't supposed to be a "tan" it's called Colorado Tan and it was supposed to be a more coppery type color. Lighter than a Southwestern type stucco color not orange though.

Scott G said...

We went through a lot of tan colors that didn't work out before we settled on "home plate." I always thought home plate was white, but it is apparently a nice dark tan with greenish undertones

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,

Orange Sherbert is a very nice color..., especially if you're an Orange Sherbert fan ;-)