Monday, March 06, 2006

Reading between the lines....

After reading the above linked article in the Toledo Blade, especially this part:

State Democratic Chairman Chris Redfern moderated the forum and said its contents played to the party faithful in attendance.

"As the candidates go out after the primary talking to Republicans and independents," he said, "you'll hear us talking a lot more about ourselves, what makes us better."


Why not now? Why not talk about what makes you "better" to Democrats? Yes, of course both sides bash the other in this endless political game, yet I can't help agreeing with the Flannery supporter...

"We're mad ... as Democrats," he (Ted Strickland) said, "and we're telling the Republicans we're not going to take it anymore."

Applause rang through the United Auto Workers Local 913 hall.

The dissent came sarcastically from the back, from a woman working for Bryan Flannery, Mr. Strickland's opponent in the Democratic gubernatorial primary.

"What a vision," she said.


I want to hear what these candidates are actually going to do, not just idealistic plans but real plans with how they are not only going to do them but pay for them. Merely spouting off how bad or unethical the Republicans are isn't going to work. Especially in this county where all we have to do is pick up a newspaper to see that it's not just Republicans who are not being ethical here. Quit telling me what they did wrong, start telling me what YOU are going to do to fix it.

Yes, past accomplishments are nice, but that has nothing to do with the future.

10 comments:

Mark said...

Good point. It's for us (or, in this case, you) as voters to choose which ones we think are better or worse and why. We want to hear plans, not partisan rhetoric. Rhetoric hasn't served American voters very well thus far, and I doubt it'll serve us much better in the future.

Unknown said...

I'm sure all of us can say the same thing most anywhere. I see very few politicians actually talking about real plans that include important details like how they are going to pay for what they are campaigning on. What is going to have to be cut, what is going to have to be raised.

I know it's silly to expect honesty when really all this comes down to is who is the best salesman that can make you believe they are going to do what you support. Then the ones who are honest? Don't get the support of the voters because too many of us don't want to hear the truth, we'd rather be sold the song and dance of "tell me what I want to hear", so naturally? The majority of them tell us what we want to hear. I'd like to blame it all on the career politicians but I also know I can't that we as voters have the main responsibility since we keep falling for it time after time.

:-)

Mark said...

Yes, I know. It's just so frustrating, because the civic duty of voting should, imo, be taken much more seriously than it is. I mean, we're talking about the governance of our nation, our states, our community, and a significant amount of people don't even bother to vote and many of those who do don't really know what they're voting on...I know, I used to be one of them.

Unknown said...

I haven't exactly done everything I could have in the past either, which I always try to remember that.

While I don't recommend everyone becomes the political junkie that I've become...people could learn alot more than they currently know.

:-)

Mark said...

My first step in correcting my own ignorance was Watchblog...and boy, was it a surprise how ignorant I actually was. Now, I'm constantly learning new ways to access the information necessary to be an informed voter. I just wish there was a way to stream-line the process for those who were interested, but not interested enough to do the leg-work. It's really rather difficult to find sources that aren't strongly biased, which is a sad thing indeed.

Cyberseaer said...

You want politicians you give you a plan of what they will do to make life better? That's a joke right, Lisa?

If they start doing that, they may have to actually work when in office.
And we just can have these lazy fat ass politicians do work, they may have a heart attack and then shoot a friend while bird hunting. Oh wait, The VP never worked did he? Sorry, my bad.

Unknown said...

Yeah I know, expecting them to actually give a real idea of what they can accomplish rather than blowing smoke up everyone's behind is rather idealistic of me.

I'm like that sometimes.

:-)

Unknown said...

Well, it appears I might have been to hasty. I just read Marc Dann who is the endorsed Democratic candidate for Attorney General. I had to actually listen to the tape, because I wanted to hear this for myself.

Then in your second term, you immediately spend your time (at least the people that I have observed) lobbying for an executive appointment, because that is the way to keep your PDRS and to continue after government. So you have to behave at that point in order to get your executive appointment, and it attracts lemmings to the legislature. My colleagues are a bunch of frickin’ lemmings, and it is really sad, on both sides, to some degree.

Scott G said...

It is a Democratic trick. They are always going to tell you their plan later. Mostly because they don't have one and are waiting to find out what other people are saying.

I was going to go to the local caucuses, but I don't get to vote. I have to be registered as a party member to vote. Too bad because I had a big platform planned for the Democrats. It was going to be "stop whining and blaming and think up something on your own and then defend it like you care about it because people are tired of you being flimsy and indecisive." I may need to shorten that up

historymike said...

Agreed. If the Dems are going to put forth a coherent plan, do so now.