Thursday, February 23, 2006

Who will be the next one out?

Well after last night's Ohio Democratic Party Executive Committee session where endorsements were handed out, speculation is beginning to see who will be the first one to pull out.

I'm betting it will be John Reardon For Auditor

I called the number listed as a contact for him and asked if he was still in the race. This was neither confirmed nor denied but I was told that John will be making a statement in the next few days.

Given the lack of information/news out there on him I think it's probably safe to assume he is listening to the "O'Malley" train of thought.

As quoted from last night's meeting:

Mr. O’Malley, Cuyahoga Recorder: We have limited funds and we’re going to eat each other up in the primary. What I’d like to know from the candidates is: If they don’t get the endorsement, would they continue to run and divide us?

Because of course that's the purpose of a primary, it's not about offering voters a choice. Silly me, I've had this whole primary thing wrong.

:-)

UPDATE: if you read this article in the Dispatch...

Redfern said the endorsed candidates will be listed on statewide sample ballots and receive other benefits, but the party won't contribute money to their primary campaigns, saving resources instead for the general election.

Then that makes O'Malley's comment way out there if money is not the issue. And if money is not the issue? Why bother with endorsements for a primary? This creates more questions than answers.....

8 comments:

Frank said...

Barb Sykes rounds out the ticket, though.

Auditor is important for Apportionment Board.

What the Party is doing makes sense to me...

Unknown said...

It doesn't make sense to me, especially given the possible voter address issue being used against her. I don't support the idea of those who make questionable ethic actions to be endorsed. Even if I did support the concept of endorsing primary races, which I don't. For either party....This type of situation causes the very split we had here in Lucas County. It forces people to either go with the party or against the party, rather than allowing them to have their own say in who they want for the general. If a person runs unopposed? So be it, but if there are situations where there is a choice? The choice should remain.

Even though she stated very clearly why she was selected if this is accurate:

Sykes: I am the minority candidate on the ticket. Let’s face it, I am on this ticket because I am a minority. We’ve got the Republican ticket looking like a Democratic ticket.

historymike said...

The party wants to conserve resources to have as much cash going into November, Lisa. If they can winnow out the field now, the strategy is that Democrats won't waste money and political capital fighting each other, and they will have that much more to go to war with the GOP.

Still, it is disheartening when you see a promising candidate get bounced before the public had a chance to vote.

Unknown said...

Mike, I understand the rationale, I also understand since this is what the Republicans do the increased desire to gain the same benefit.

However, I strongly disagree with it especially when there are candidates of equal merit.

Jill said...

Ditto your words, Lisa. This isn't about not understanding why a person would believe it's best to winnow the field re: $$. What it's about is neutralizing the power of $$. And no one seems willing to step up and do that, yet. Wouldn't it be great to elect who faced the burden of not having the party support to a position in which they could help neutralize the very factors that would have, under other rationales, seen them pull out because of a perceived problem that shouldn't exist in the first place?

Dividing the party? No. Be straight. The folks wanting to winnow the field are worried about dividing the money. Just call a spade a spade for goodness sakes. There's natural selection and there's unnatural selection. Leaning on excellent choices to get out is unnatural. Winnowing is my job as a voter in a primary. Let me do my job.

Unknown said...

Maybe it's just me, but you would think that a well run primary that built up some involvement/excitement would tend to create more donations than a dull primary where the majority of those running ran uncontested....

:-)

Jill said...

Now you know I'm going to say me too,right?

Unknown said...

lmao, well I figured you'd agree but then again...we do have differences...as one example? I hate crock pots....

:-)