Thursday, February 23, 2006

Can you say Oops?

Normally I don't do this, but this is a perfect example of how misinformation spreads thru the blogosphere.

Click on the above link....Look at the pictures...then reflect especially on this part:

In fact, the pin was featured in Julie Myers' official ICE photo that hangs in the offices of the Homeland Security agency, known as the "ICE Palace." AND it was featured in the photo atop Myers' online bio at ICE's website. Observant ICE agents pointed out this glaring symbol of deadly open borders sported on Ms. Myers' chest (over her heart). And someone must have also pointed it out to ICE's public affairs, because they've now cropped the Mexican eagle out of the photo (you can still find the eagle if you click on her photo, but we're sure they'll soon crop that one, too).

Yet...to me I thought gee it looks like an eagle...our symbol is an eagle too.

Then when reading the comments on Debbie's site? You find a resourceful commentor by the name of Carrie did what I was going to do for us, she found the pin. Was it a Mexican pin? No......

Voila That very same pin. For sale at the Library of Congress Gift Shop

Infact in the time it took Debbie to search out all of those pictures of eagles? Merely putting "gold eagle pin on pearl" into a search engine gets you:

20. Jewelry: Sales Shop (Library of Congress)
Jewelry available for order from the Library of Congress Sales Shop. ... with Liberty Eagle Pin. "May the eagle be an inspiration for ... The faux pearl necklace is 15 inches long, and the ...
www.loc.gov/loc/salesshop/jewelry.html [Found on Yahoo! Search]

So young blogghoppers....always check before you pass on information....also remember to give credit to those who posted about this before you like She Who Will be Obeyed (I like that name!)

UPDATE: Gee, it seems Debbie doesn't want people to know she made a mistake. She deleted Carrie's first comment with the link. So Carrie responded with this:

The pin in question is a Liberty Eagle pin.
It is sold in the Library of Congress gift shop
It isn't a "Mexican" Eagle.
Here's the link...
http://www.loc.gov/loc/salesshop/jewelry.html
Will you correct your post?
You've deleted my comment once...how many times must I post this before you correct your mistake?

Posted by: Carrie at February 23, 2006 08:37 PM

:-)

10 comments:

Scott G said...

Damn bloggers. If only they were more accurate and cautious like I am. On that note, it turns out that Dick Cheney did not think that Whittington guy was Osama because he was tall like I had reported.

Unknown said...

Well...at least you admitted you were wrong before someone else had to point it out to you.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I just hope that Carrie doesn't get hate mail from Debbie Schlussel because she was brave enough to point out her mistake!

I'm a conservative, but I cannot stand 'political pundits' who are dishonest, whether they are conservative or liberal. In fact, I'm starting to think I would like to just go and try make people be truthful on their blogs - like you are
:)

Unknown said...

Well, Debbie deleted Carrie's comment once again, guess she really is trying to hide the fact that she is wayyyyy wrong on this one.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Not only did she delete my last comment but I am pretty sure that I am banned from commenting at all.

Pathetic? Yeah.

Anyway..thanks for the kind words from both of you!!
Carrie

Unknown said...

Carrie, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't do anything to be deleted or banned. Why some people can't just say those three little words...I was wrong...I'll never understand.

You are welcome here anytime you see a discussion you find interesting.

David said...

Wanna fact check twc for me?

:-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lisa.
I bookmarked your site and look forward to hearing about the book project, etc.

Because I'm kind of like a dog with a bone...How naughty would it be to notify the designer of the pin?
Ann Hand runs a jewelry store in DC and prominently features the pin on her website. I doubt that she would appreciate the mischaracterization of her patriotic designs by
Ms. what's her face..
http://www.annhand.com/homepage.html
Let me know what you think.
Carrie

Unknown said...

Carrie,

I think the designer has a right to know what kind of bs is being spread around.

:-)

Unknown said...

Azygos, I have made mistakes too, as well as written about stories that later proved to not be quite what they first appeared.

I think what bothers me most in this situation is the fact that she is deleting people rather than just admit an error. Thankfully most bloggers are not like that, infact Jake at Freedom Folks only passed on the story and he quickly wrote a correction as soon as he found out the story wasn't what it appeared.

It's becoming a much larger issue than it needed to be.