Wednesday, February 08, 2006

At least it wasn't on a balcony....

As I was reading the above linked CNN story about Britney Spears, my initial reaction was "sheesh those paparazzi should leave people alone".

NEW YORK (AP) -- Britney Spears defended photographs showing the pop star driving with her infant son on her lap, saying she was dodging the paparazzi.

Several photos published Tuesday showed Spears driving her SUV with her son, Sean Preston, perched on her lap rather than strapped into a car seat in the back seat. Spears said she did it because of a "horrifying, frightful encounter with the paparazzi."

Curiousity of course got the best of me so I started looking for the pictures.



So while I still believe that the paparazzi shouldn't basically stalk or harrass people, I'd also suggest that next time Britney buckle up her own seatbelt, keep the baby in his car seat and? Let the bodyguard drive. Family Services supposedly went to her home to take a report but most likely no charges will be filed since Police did not witness it personally.

More than 600 children under the age of 5 years are killed each year, and about 270,000 are injured in vehicle crashes. An adult deciding not to wear a seat belt is one issue, putting a baby in a dangerous situation (especially if it was true that she felt threatened) is another. Years ago when Erin was a baby we were involved in a pretty bad car crash. A second impact was directed right where Erin was in her baby seat because the car was hit so hard it spun into a pole. The car seat had some minor damage but Erin was the only one who ended up with not even a scratch. I was a believer in infant seats before then but that one time...made me realize how a baby stands no chance against an accident without protection.

13 comments:

Cyberseaer said...

No excues will be accpeted. She knew what kind of life she was leading before getting klnocked up. Whether or not the freelance shutterbugs are on this Earth for a good reason or not, the first priority is the safety of the child. She wasn't in any danger, since the bodyguard was there and she had plenty of time to get the kid in the carseat and drive off.

I'm glad someone had the brains to call CPS on her ass. Stupid move and part of me wished that she got in an accident and the kid got hurt, just a little. Maybe the common sense gear in her brain would get unstuck and start working.

If she doesn't feel any guilt on the stupid move she did, then she should lose her kid. It took years before Courtney Love lost her kid. Let's hope CPS won't be that slow on Brittney. At least there is a record on hand of the inicident.

Just what should a mother feel? Here's an example. When our daughter was about seven months old, she saw a pot pie on the living room table that my wife put out to eat. Our daughter went up to it and slapped her hand in the pie. It was hot and our daughter screamed holy hell. A dumb move on my wife? Yes, but she was only gone for five second to get a drink; it is that quick for things to go wrong. My point? After everything was said and done my daughter had a mild burn that healed the next day. After I came home from work and my wife told me about it, she cried like a baby and wondered what kind of horrible mother she was. She kept crying all night and I was there for her to keep remind her that she wasn't a monster. I hope Brittney felt a faction of the guilt that my wife felt, then Brittney would understand what a mother must do to keep her child safe.

Scott G said...

I think they should take the kid away to save it from being on E! in one of those true Hollywood story things. Now that she is no longer the innocent schoolgirl virgin, people will notice that she is also not talented. She is well on her way to the white trash Bobby and Whitney

historymike said...

What a moron.

Ms. Spears exhibited incredible recklessness and stupidity. I hope DSS at least makes her take some parenting classes.

Care of Sweety Technician said...

I wholehartedly agree with all above... But, let's face it, the baby was born to Brittney Spears and her guy, he didn't stand a chance even before this obvious exhibition of stupidity and carelessness. DSS to do something? Michael Jackson didn't get convicted, right? DSS went, saw, asked, thanked, and left. That's all there will be.

Cyberseaer, your wife is a good mother by the fact she felt bad about doing what we all have done and will do if we haven't. Children get hurt, the go to the ER, it's part of growing up and learning. We're not here to put them in harms way, but also not to overprotect. Tricky balance, but necessary.

Mark said...

Egads! Does she need an even more likely time to crash to realize that she needs to keep her child safe at all times?!?

There's no excuse for not securing your child in a safety seat. They're required by law for good reason.

Jill said...

Ok, ok - I'm SO not a Britney defender, I swear, please, don't delete me! BUT...I heard this morning on a radio show that in fact the car very well might not have been moving - not that that makes it okay - and I have NOT followed this story SINCE this morning so I don't know what more has come of it, BUT on the radio, it was noted that the passenger door is wide open and would make it appear that the car is not moving. Don't know - not sure I care - just throwing that out.

:)

Unknown said...

Jill, I'd never delete you....and I heard it started with the car sitting at Starbucks while the bodyguard went in. Then however she drove off with the baby in her lap or so said the photographers. I haven't seen all of the photos but I hope for her sake that's all it was. The only one I found out there was the one posted and the door could be open.

:-)

Cyberseaer said...

Thanks Catdaddy.

Now I have proof that people other than Lisa read my rantings. ;)

Unknown said...

I could have told you that...

:-)

Unknown said...

True, I am biased, but I admit it, especially when it comes tooooo

MFWSHAB.....

:-)

Cyberseaer said...

Ah, but you are a little bit bias, but in a good way. I don't think that your bias will spark riots in the Muslim world.

Unknown said...

lol - Blogger delay...

:-)

Mark said...

Spears admitted it was a mistake, and thus admits she did it. She's back to having no good excuse in my book.