Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm sorry John Kerry but I can't stand with you on this one

I just received an email from John Kerry in which he states he is not going to vote for Judge Alito to be confirmed, in it he asks:

To join this fight, please sign our letter. When I go down to the Senate floor to speak out against Judge Alito, I'll enter your name in opposition to Alito into the Congressional Record as well. And I'll show my Senate colleagues that as far as the American people are concerned, this is not some inside the beltway conversation; this is a landmark struggle for the future of our nation.

I'm sorry Senator Kerry, but when America decided to make you the candidate to run against George Bush, you lost. The president has the right to nominate qualified candidates and the Senate's role is advise and consent. Alito is conservative, he is pretty much what was expected given President Bush's statements on who he would nominate. However, Alito is a well qualified judge and despite memo's written back in 1985 and before, I watched the hearings in full. Almost every single moment that was televised. I watched almost all of the John Roberts hearings as well, while Roberts is more charsimatic than Alito, Alito answered more questions and was more direct than Roberts. There was nothing that was discovered that implies that Alito would be a bad jugdge, it confirmed what most of us already knew. He's a conservative.....

Let's say you had won the presidency. Would you want the Republicans doing to your nominees what your party is doing? I think not, there was a huge outcry over the way a Republican held Senate did not give nominees even a chance to get out of committee. That should be noted, however, did President Clinton nominate candidates that the Republicans "loved"? Of course not. You do have the right to vote as you choose, you are not my State Senator so I have very little impact on your decision. However I will tell you that by changing the process and making it even more political it will affect your party when a Democrat is president. Making this about memo's written over 20 years ago, misconstruing court decisions and implying that Alito will somehow make abortion illegal; changing what used to be about qualifications and is realistically more about creating sound bites and playing politics is not a positive direction. Unless there is a major change in attitude in Washington, this will "return to haunt" Democrats. I hope when that day comes, I don't receive an email from you decrying how unfair the Republicans are being to "your" President's nominees....

I hope you take responsiblity for your part in helping to change the process.

11 comments:

Scott G said...

I want to sign it just to get my name in the Congressional Record. I could put that on my resume. I am not sure how I would work it in, but who would check what it was anyway?

Cyberseaer said...

John Kerry jumping on the Democratic Bandwagon to stop a Republican President's choice for a Supreme Justice from being confirmed? Naw!! Say it ain't so Li.

Kerry is going to be the same kind of pain in the ass crybaby that his senior Senator from MA is already.

Sorry, but I just can stand millionares cry that they can't get their way. How about they throw a few bucks my way and I'll cry with them. Until then, just shut up. I bet that Kerry thought Atilo was a good judge until it looked like the Supreme Court would swing more to the right than the left. Get over yourself Johnny boy (I bet he hates that.), and count your wife's milllions and be happy that your wife's family will have another Super Bowl trophy.

Unknown said...

With your luck me4 they'd put it in the wrong place and you'd end up supporting something totally against what you normally believe.

C, I understand some of the concern but I'm more concerned for what is happening to the process. I also am so tired of both sides putting so much focus on Roe V Wade when if they really wanted to prevent abortion there are so many more ways to make that happen rather than waste millions of dollars the way both the pro-lifers and the pro-choice bunch does. I think about how many unwanted babies being born it could prevent or how it could help make sure babies that were being born were getting proper pre-natal and newborn care.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Lisa! :-)

Did you send this to him?

Unknown said...

Yes, Stephanie I did send it to him, I'll let you know if I get a response.

:-)

Cyberseaer said...

We can go the national sterlization route, where if you don't pass a common sense test then you get lose the ability to produce children.

Of course the ACLU would get involved and state that it violated civil rights and get there organization in the media and blah, blah, blah.

I just I can't win.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I'm sorry Lisa, someone typed John Kerry and I nodded off.

Happened again when I typed it too...

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Forgot to mention it earlier Lisa, but the content of your responses were wise beyond your years.

Damn!

Unknown said...

So, before you nod off again since I did write John Kerry, I'm going to be 46, but it's been an experience packed almost half a century.....Damn that's one way to make myself feel old...half a century...AARP here I come soon!

But thank you HT, I've given this alot of thought.

:-)

Unknown said...

I don't know. Since the end of the election in 04 I still get emails from Kerry like this. I hate to say it, but I can't tell if he served on a swiftboat or a showboat anymore. I certainly hope he doesn't run again in 2008. I would hate to have to throw my vote away on a third party.

Unknown said...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/26/alito/index.html

Well, Kerry has called for a fillibuster...sigh....