Monday, February 13, 2006

Disgust with the Primary process...

I just read on Buckeye Senate Blog that Eric Fingerhut is going to drop out of the primary so Strickland has a clear shot. Then the demands that have been made the past day or so for Paul Hackett to be a "good Democrat" and drop out of the race for Senate and run in the primary for the OH-2 (are you going to demand all of the OH-2 dems drop out so Paul has a clear shot?). Add to that Montgomery dropping out and the demands that Petro drop out. Here in Lucas County it was suggested not long ago first that George Sarantou not run then others have suggested that Maggie Thurber not run for re-election. Back when Keith Wilkowski decided to run in the primary for Toledo Mayor, it was suggested that he not run. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois (Yes Illinois, not even Indiana, nor Ohio) really should have no say in who runs in an Ohio primary, especially calling for anyone to step down. Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory evidently was trying to go for two notches in his belt. First he endorsed Strickland rather than no one or Fingerhut who he claimed was a "good friend" and then was responsible for sending out emails stating that Paul Hackett was pulling out of the Senate Race and going for oH-2. He'll have to settle for one, at least at this point Paul Hackett is holding firm.

While I understand the reasons behind not wanting three or four candidates, I also have to ask isn't the whole purpose of an election for us (you remember us, the voters) to pick who we think is the best candidate? Should it matter what the party "Gods" want? I like what Lynn Worpenberg, Co-Chair, Democracy for Cincinnati wrote that is also on Buckeye Senate Blog I'd also point out that last I heard Brian Flannery is still in the race however with the almost media blackout on him, he'll probably be the next one to step down or be pushed out of the race.

As I wrote in the comments over at Buckeye Senate Blog, why bother with the pretense of a primary if this is going to be the way things are going to be. Don't encourage people to run then tell them "Okay, we thought we wanted you but now that so and so is here? Be a good little (insert party) and step down now".

Since when is choice bad? If you lose? Fine then the voters have spoken but to just give up means those who are pressuring you to quit don't care about what any of us think. Maybe I wouldn't have voted for Fingerhut, but that should be my choice. I really hope that Sherrod Brown is not involved in any of these pressure plays against Paul Hackett, and I think it's pretty crappy to do this in an attempt to hurt his fundraising by this type of action. If it turns out Strickland was involved in getting Fingerhut to pull out? I'll feel differently about him. (Brian Flannery hope you don't pull out, you could have my vote.) The goal here is to beat your primary opponent in the election, not see how many big guns you can get to try to force them into quitting. (I'd comment on Blackwell but there is no way I can forsee even considering supporting him so that'd be an empty threat.)

I would add though....if you wonder why people decide they don't even want to bother to go out to vote? Those of you "playing God" with the political process might want to take a look in the mirror.....

Yes...I was ranting...I'm done for now.....

13 comments:

Scott G said...

I agree with you. The Dems should let us decide who we think is best instead of trying to control the process. We would like to actually win a race or two. The Party seems to just want to let their friends run

Unknown said...

This is why I usually end up going with a third party candidate.

:-)

Scott G said...

It is also why I write myself in a lot

Unknown said...

It's also why I might start writing you in myself.

:-)

Mark said...

Good rant, Lisa!
;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm not voting for Sherrod Brown or Ted Strickland, and neither should you.

I'm especially disgusted with Strickland... He has his hand in ALL of this. He pushed Brown into the race days after Hackett announced because he thought their candidacies would compliment eachother.

Well Teddy, I guess they do. You're both establishment lackies and you're both going to lose.

Scott G said...

I think everyone who is upset should write me in. How many votes do I need to win in Ohio?

Unknown said...

I think you'd actually have to move to Ohio me4 to be able to write you in.

:-)

Scott G said...

Would being an Iowa Hawkeye hurt my candidacy?

Unknown said...

probably here in Ohio...yes...

Scott G said...

Damn single issue voters

Cyberseaer said...

And the Democrats want the public to believe that are the people's party? Democrats have lost their identity in trying to please everyone. The Republicans know that they piss off lots of people, but they are a united party. Don't get that confused with good party.

As for ranting Lisa, it's good to get things off your chest. So don't be sorry for ranting. If I was sorry for ranting, I would have nothing to say.

Unknown said...

That's true C, and as you can tell? I'm back to normal (or as normal as I'll ever be)

:-)