Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Act Locally...Think Globally...

As predicted, Food Banks are running into shortages because of the decrease in donations as people focus on donating to Hurricane Relief. It was to be expected, the same thing happened after 9/11.

However, please remember that those who were having problems providing their families with food before the Hurricanes are still dealing with the same issues in your area today.

Second Harvest does provide food for emergency situations such as floods and hurricanes. But...if you go to their site in the top right hand corner there is a spot where you can find Food Banks in your area. Alot of us only remember these organizations during Holidays when the media gives them coverage, the need for food exists thru out the year though.

I know alot of us are experiencing our own budgetary diaster situations, but if you can? Contact your local foodbank and donate either food or a few bucks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am on the email list from Second Harvest, so have to give them credit for it. I do really like their search option though it has come in handy not only for helping people donate but helping those that might need help.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

With the total Retailization of GIFTmas and our wish to opt of the GIFTgasm fests that others seem to relish so much, I'm going to suggest to Mrs. Thunkit that we give a truly meaningful gift to Second Harvest.

Nothing would please me more than to make this a monthly donation.

If we remove the Gift from Giftmas, then maybe CHRISTmas will begin to catch on again...

Unknown said...

I think that's another advantage of a large family with a tight budget it lessens the effects of "Giftmas".

I am not a fan of Giftmas at all, infact every year I think about telling people I have converted to one of the religions that doesn't celebrate it to avoid it even more than I try to now.

The Christmas you write of? Yes, that I do support.

:-)