Friday, May 07, 2010

A brief respite now that the primary is over...

Those of you read here, who don't read my local political blog, may enjoy a break from politics like I did recently when I got the chance to interview Raymond Carr, the voodoo puppeteer for "Walking with Dinosaurs" in this past week's Toledo Free Press Star - (link).

This is the first time I've been in print in the Star, normally my responsibilities there are fact checking and helping to get the Star ready for print so it can hit the racks on Wednesdays.

It's a fun paper to work on, since it's not political at all, it focuses more on arts, entertainment and what we would call the "fluffier side of life" -- facts are still important but it's less number/fact oriented. A good example of the difference is taking the interview I did with Raymond Carr compared to my column that will appear in the Sunday edition of the Toledo Free Press, (link).

That written, politics will always be a driving part of my life. One of the things I miss most, with the less time I have now compared to the past, is being able to debate and discuss national politics here. Local politics is so consuming at times and my local blog takes quite a bit more hands on management.

Working on both the Star and the Toledo Free Press has been a learning experience. I've also discovered having a weekly column is more of a challenge than writing a blog; in coming up with ideas and saying it in under 700 words. I'm still far from perfection but thanks to the people I work with, I think I am on the road to being a better writer and learning more about reporting versus opining.

As always, I thank those of you who are still with me here. It wouldn't be as much fun here, without you.

:-)

No comments: