Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sandals versus flip flops and sticker shock...

For years I resisted wearing flip flops, where you realize it's really hard to find inexpensive sandals that don't utilize the whole thong thing between your big toe and your second toe. This may not sound like something worth "ranting" about, but with my increasing mileage in walking, sandals most times are not comfortable and flip flops are to me less comfortable than walking barefoot and when it's really hot tennis shoes are just not appealing. While my preferred method when the weather is warm is barefeet, that's not a smart thing to do when trying to trek a few miles, even if the soles of your feet have become like leather. (Who knows someday I might want to be a firewalker - lol.) My favorite pair of sandals I've had for years, Dr. Martens, appear to have reached the end of their lifespan and it doesn't seem as if that particular style that I love is still available.

I finally tried one of the many pairs of flip flops in this house, magically finding a pair that matched, since most of the girls in this household seem to have no problem not wearing the same color on both feet, yes, you may think there is a pair just like that at home, but like socks, flip flops disappear around here. They also don't last long, which is not a big deal since most of them are pretty cheap but I'm used to having my shoes/sandals last for quite a few years, I just don't find the flip flops comfortable at all. So, my hunt for a pair of walking sandals has started, I've seen some that look appealing made by Ecco shoes but spending over $100.00 for a pair of sandals is a bit out of my range, though I now also see that the Dr. Martens are pretty pricey compared to how they used to be. I know, I've just given away how long it's been since I shopped for shoes if I think that over $100.00 is expensive, it makes me wish I would have done what I did with my boots, I really loved them so I bought two pairs while they were on sale, then? I'd still have an extra pair of my favorites...

3 comments:

Robin said...

I have had the same pair of flip-flops for about 10 years now. At least 7 years...they were the only shoes I could get on my swollen feet when I was pregnant with my daughter. I love them. My husband hates them and they are a never-ending source of material for him to tease me about. I bought them at Meijer for around $3. I wouldn't spend much more money than that on flip-flops.

I also have a pair of sandals that I love. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to wear them because one of the straps broke on them. I haven't been able to get myself to throw them away. I keep thinking that I'll take them somewhere to get them fixed. That never happens.

Unknown said...

Try:

Pasquale & Sons Shoe Repair
3646 Upton Ave, Toledo - (419) 472-8803

I have heard good things about them from other people. There used to be a shoe repair shop over near Key and Heatherdowns, I'm not sure if it's still there, but that's where I used to go.

Robin said...

Thanks for the info. :)