Sunday, February 01, 2009

Scrubs as a fashion style?

I'm a big fan of comfort clothing and anyone who knows me knows, that's one of the things I love about blogging is the ability to work from home without having to do the whole "dress up" thing. That said, I'm not sure how I feel about noticing more and more people wearing medical scrub clothing as a fashion style because they don't work in the medical profession. Both online and in stores you find people purchasing cherokee scrub pants who the closest they are going to get to a medical profession is brushing their teeth.

It's interesting because it is one of the few professions where you see this happening, in part because the clothing was designed to not fit snug, so that there did not need to be a huge selection of sizes, but now some of these brands like landau medical scrubs as one example, are a far cry from the traditional blue/green scrub that some think of. Though some of the landau scrubs are still the style you'd recognize, there are a number of colors and styles.

I also wondered if part of the scrub wearing public is influenced by shows like Grey's Anatomy, which by the way has a line of it's own scrub wear for those of you who want to dress like your favorite character. Perhaps since I have not tried scrubs, I haven't experienced the comfort zone many have stated as a motivating reason, but either way? I'm seeing more and more people wearing them at the grocery store, at the mall and as casual wear.

1 comment:

Robin said...

It might be a comfort thing. I remember people wearing scrubs as regular clothing back when I was in junior high (and that was a very long time ago, lol). I've noticed a lot of people wearing pajamas to the store.