Sunday, January 04, 2009

Another one bites the dust...Richardson pulls name from consideration for Commerce

I guess it could be said with the recent questions concerning Bill Richardson and a financial group that it's probably a good thing that he was not selected as Secretary of State though I'm not positive as to the final outcome of what has happened. All that is clear at this point is that Richardson has pulled his name out of the running for Commerce Secretary.
It is also because of that sense of urgency about the work of the Commerce Department that I have asked the President-elect not to move forward with my nomination at this time. I do so with great sorrow. But a pending investigation of a company that has done business with New Mexico state government promises to extend for several weeks or, perhaps, even months.

Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact. But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process.Given the gravity of the economic situation the nation is facing, I could not in good conscience ask the President-elect and his Administration to delay for one day the important work that needs to be done.

So, for now, I will remain in the job I love, Governor of New Mexico, and will continue to work every day, with Lieutenant Governor Diane Denish, to make a positive difference in the lives of New Mexicans. I believe she will be a terrific governor in the future.

The google search on this issue turns up posts on sites such as Michelle Malkin that stated:
Corrupt Bill Richardson says adios to being Commerce Secretary

I always hesitate when it comes to making such accusations, the pay to play problem is a huge one, one that coming from Ohio, the land of the Noe saga, I know better than anyone. Richardson has not been found guilty of any wrong doing at this point, it's to me rather hypocritical to be labeling Richardson as corrupt by some of those who felt Sarah Palin should not be judged in "troopergate" until that investigation was complete...

Then again, part of the political game of tit for tat always seems to forget about the golden rule of life many of us strive for.

No comments: