Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Obama and I agree on something...

I have not changed my position on my own reasons for not supporting the Death Penalty, one of which is the selective nature in which it is used. However, that said, given it is still legal in this country, it is hard to justify in my mind how the extremely brutal raping of an 8 year old by her step-father would not be considered worse than murder or treason. Yet, that was the decision recently made by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Scotus blog states that the underlying decision was "Barring the death penalty for any crime that does not take the life of an individual victim," the AP article used by the Blade states:
Still, Kennedy concluded that in cases of crimes against individuals — as opposed to treason, for example — "the death penalty should not be expanded to instances where the victim's life was not taken."

The decision does not affect the imposition of the death penalty for other crimes that do not involve murder, including treason and espionage, he said.


It was encouraging to read that Barack Obama has expressed some of the exact same concerns I had. I don't normally post on candidates reacting to a news story, however, I felt it was important to give him kudos for making this public position considering some of my previous disagreement with some of his stances.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you agree with Obama on the idea to place a one time tax on your 401k-I.R.A?


Rev Michael Pfleger of Chicago, an Obama surrogate called for this in a sermon given at Obama's church.

This idea was floated during the Clinton years. Many liberals see it as a means to give the U.S. Treasury a one shot windfall without affecting economic activity.

A one time 20% tax on all pension funds that include state, federal, I.R.A., 401k, and corporate pension funds would be a windfall of about $1.5 to $2 trillion for give away spending - redistribution of wealth, etc.

Are you THAT liberal???

Cyberseaer said...

I just love the way the anonymous clan can comment on one topic when it has nothing to do with the posted topic. Ok, I take that back. Death and taxes go hand in hand, that is what everyone tells me. Oh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. (Just for those of you who don't get it, I put a period on the end of the ha ha's to show that I was being sarcasic. If I truly felt that was funny, I would have put a few exclaimion points at the end with a winky eye and lol. yuck)

My view on the dealth penality is that if your crime is hedious enough to cause others a lifetime of pain and misery, you have no value to society and should be put to death. (Sorry for taking the funny out.)

Unknown said...

I agree with you C. On both the funny part and the non-funny part. If the Death Penality is going to be legal it should be used just as you stated.