Saturday, June 14, 2008

Even natural disasters become political...

As the flooding in Iowa continued, blame started, with politics coming into play on some of the news message boards. Some blamed President Bush, some said Iowa was being punished for supporting Obama, as if God really would decide to send a flood because of either man, presidential or otherwise. Especially if you know your bible when it comes to the promise God made Noah.

Regardless, floods happen, perhaps part of the reason for all of the 500 year floods is we are at some type of a 500 year marker...The areas currently flooding now in Iowa are within that 500 year flood maps for each one of the cities affected, which means there should be some type of planning or at least an awareness that it's not a total shock that a flood did happen.

The situation could get worse if some of the levies break downstream, which is why many areas are still considered under risk for the next several days even thought the rain has ended. One thing is for certain though, no matter who is the next president, Democrat or Republican, natural disasters will happen...and most likely even though people know they are within a 100 year or a 500 year floodplain they will rebuild exactly where it will flood again...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has brought the floods with devastation to Iowa as punishment for promoting an abortion advocate like Obama. Lord have mercy on their souls.

Unknown said...

"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, however evil his inclinations may be from his youth upwards. I will never again kill every living creature, as I have just done. While the earth lasts seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall never cease" (Gen.8: 21,22)

I have a bit more faith in God's promises...

Scott G said...

I can't say that I believe in a spiteful and angry god, but I also do not really believe in god at all. For a while growing up I did, but I eventually became Buddhist. All I know is that I would not want to believe in a god that would kill and destroy innocent people for any reason. That is what politicians are there for.

That being said, I think Iowa has a similar problem to what New Orleans and so many other areas do. Natural habitat and lands that have previously helped slow and prevent flooding are gone and now the waters have a free pass to so many places. I am not saying those places might not have had some flooding before, just that it might have been less then it has been.

I also will not say it is global warming, although I do think climate change plays a role. I just think it is us trying to use more land and get rid of barriers to our land use and our views that causes some of the problem.