Monday, September 03, 2007

Cerebral Palsy Facts

When I was growing up a neighbor had cerebral palsy, at the time very little was know about what caused cerebral palsy. It is now stated that 20% of these cases were caused by a lack of oxygen during birth and that increased use of electronic fetal monitoring could prevent the incidence of these cases that have directly resulted from a loss of enough oxygen while in labor.

5 comments:

gandalf43 said...

If 20% of these cases were caused by a lack of oxygen during birth, what causes the remaining 80% of these cases?

What is your self-published book about?

Lisa Renee said...

Causes are believed to be, asphyxia, hypoxia of the brain, birth trauma, premature birth, and certain infections in the mother during and before birth such as strep infections, central nervous system infections, trauma, consecutive hematomas, and placenta abruptio.

My book was on my search for my father's family and Ohio history.

gandalf43 said...

lisa renee-
Hypoxia of the brain refers to a lack of oxygen.

Lisa Renee said...

I know, I listed all of the known causes.

Cyberseaer said...

If I might put my two cents in here. My younger brother was born with Cerebral Palsy. As he was being born, the umbilical was around his neck and choked him. The lack of oxygen led him to his condition and he is unable to walk, speak, or take care of himslef. The sad part is that he is sharp as a tack mentally, but is trapped in a vessal for life.

Unfornately, he was born before there was a method to avoid this, three years later. So yes, Cerelbral Palsy is cause by lack of oxygen to the brain, resulting in mild to servere brain damage.

Sorry for the downer post, but I had to put my input into the ring.