Friday, March 16, 2007

Real cure or only in their minds...

This story to me demonstrates how the power of the human mind can convince a person that they are being helped or cured using something that modern medical science states cannot work. However, there are valid concerns as expressed in this CNN article that people who do believe this mixture of herbs is curing their HIV/AIDS condition could stop taking traditional medications that do have a proven benefit.

Is this some type of a placebo? When you read this, it does seem that those interviewed are convinced it works:
Ousman Sow, 54, said he's been HIV-positive since 1996 and had been taking anti-retrovirals for the past fours years until he volunteered for this program.

Four weeks later, he said he's gained 30 pounds and feels like a new person.

"I am cured at this moment," he said.

Asked if he had any HIV symptoms, he responded, "No, I don't. As I stand before you I can honestly tell you I have ceased to have any HIV symptoms."

Patient after patient gave similar statements to CNN. But it was difficult to verify the authenticity of their testimony. The government claims to have scientific evidence, but it did not provide any to CNN.

It is said that the mind is a very powerful thing and that the limits of what we have the ability to do, even when it comes to things like healing are unknown.

1 comment:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

The cynic in me has to ask, who is sponsoring the program and how much does it cost?

Sounds to me like a Ponzi scheme that's just about ready to collapse.