Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Okay and what about the rest of us?

I realize this may come off as pissy, but when reading this article by Chris Cillizza in the Washington Post, this statement really bothered me:

Advocates for the two states insist that the small size of Iowa and New Hampshire forces politicians to meet and greet potential voters in person rather than via 30-second television commercials -- an experience that is a true test of their candidate skills. Supporters of the primacy of New Hampshire and Iowa insist that voters in their states take their responsibility quite seriously, paying close attention to the minutiae of campaigns and candidates.

Personally I resent the fact that these other smaller states have such a large impact on how the process works. Yes, I'm still irritated at Howard Dean dropping out before Ohio when in reality, just because these other states wanted John Kerry didn't mean the rest of us did. I realize they all want the money and the extra media attention but seriously, why not create a system where it is done in a rotating fashion with 25 being first drawn by some form of lottery and then the next presidential cycle have the next 25 being drawn by some form of lottery. At least that would more equitably distribute the "importance" and also give each State a chance to have that sort of attention rather than the current system where they squabble over who will be the "first". Yes, I know, I am proposing something that would actually be fair, so of course it will never happen...

:-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great design, useful info!This resourse is great!Keep it up!With the best regards!
Frank

Anonymous said...

Being from Iowa, I am a fan of Iowa having the first caucus. I think it is a plus to make politicians act in a more intimate setting where it is not just a battle of money. Having gone to a couple of caucuses in Iowa and closely followed other primaries that followed, I think the politicians become less real the bigger the states get. Dean did not drop out because of results in Iowa, but because he let himself be made into a fool

Scott G said...

I am not anonymous. I just played anonymous on the previous comment

Scott G said...

Besides, the way states like Florida and Ohio have looked in recent elections, do we want them to have any more power ;-)

Unknown said...

I disagree that Iowa should have it all the time, and I don't think Howard made himself a fool, the media helped overblow something that should have been a non-issue.

Living here in Ohio, I guess for me it's different because every time I see the "decisions" being made before we get a chance to have a say. I can understand why Iowa and NH still want it but...I'd like a shot at being one of the first once in a while too.

:-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

You should know by now that there's no room for sense and logic in politics :-)