Friday, June 09, 2006

The basement hates me...

We headed over to the new place last night to tackle the basement...knowing the rest of the house only needed some paint with the dining room being the next worst room where the ceiling was going to have to be painted with Kilz or something similar.

Erin wants to have her main retreat area to be in the basement. Yes, that's a typical teenage thing. It doesn't look like it leaks but it does look like there is or was some moisture type seepage so we bought that masonry paint/sealer stuff to do first. Then we will do her selected "color scheme". The makers of Ugli Masonry Paint/Sealer lie...they say one gallon will provide 2 coats of a 75 to a 100 square foot area. One gallon did one coat of about a 75 square foot area. You also can't put it on with a roller it has to go on by brush. However, the one part of the wall that we finished last night does look really good and with opening up both windows in the basement for just a few hours it already didn't feel as "damp" or "musty" as it did before. I already have a carbon monoxide detector for that area, plans for a dehumidifer have been considered.

That's not why the basement hates me though...it has been well documented that I have problems with steps. At the new place the problem is I am the tallest one of the bunch and the bottom step has less of a height clearance, there is an overhang and while I have artfully missed it everytime I go downstairs....I've clunked my head several times going upstairs...Perhaps that is punishment for all of the times I have teased Miguel especially for being shorter than me...

:-)

4 comments:

historymike said...

Gotta love dehumidifiers. I positioned our basement dehumidifier over a floor drain and drilled holes in the bucket, so that it always empties into the drain.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Lisa,
When going up, lean lunge and step-step-step quickly.

When going down, Limbo.

Advice from one who knows. Learned the hard way.

Now, if I could just remember to duck under chandeliers...

Mark said...

I'm looking for a good used dehumidifier. Our last one got fried when the washer hose decided to explode. Unfortunately, not only are new ones expensive, they're also all made in China. At least, those that are available in my area (which is neither Toledo nor Ohio for those unfamiliar with me). Luckily, it's garage sale season.

Unknown said...

Kate, the latex based kilz for the ceiling wasn't too bad - and I have looked at Ebay for the dehumidifyer. I have a few bids in though you really have to watch shipping. Some of the people that were selling them cheap were really jacking up the shipping price.

:-)