Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Excuse me, but your skin has been recalled...

Yes, the above linked story from CNN is creepy, but it was this phrase:

Minnesota-based distributor Medtronic Inc. reported that at least 8,000 pieces that came from BTS were implanted, and others are being recalled, according to documents filed January in a federal lawsuit in Ohio.

I've heard of many things being recalled but not bone, skin and tendons or heart valves.

There was a time when I was told I needed a skin graft when I was about 17, I had an accident where a large part of my shoulder was messed up and it was suggested taking a piece of skin from my behind and grafting it on to my shoulder was the solution. I decided I was fine with the shoulder, and I preferred my behind to remain as it was. Now, that scar is one of my many that adds "character". Yet I can't imagine the horror of going thru a skin graft and then having it recalled.

As this earlier CNN article points out even "Masterpiece Theatre" host Alistair Cooke, had some of his body parts stolen...

2 comments:

Mark said...

Now that is bizarre. Not as infuriating as what I just wrote about, but very bizarre!

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

As long as there is a potential for profit, safety will always be a secondary (or worse) concern...

Besides, you can ask a corpse about their medical history, but most tend to remain Mum(my) on the subject.

Corporate ethics, what's that???