Saturday, December 03, 2005

Colts still have a chance to break Miami's perfect season






USA Today writes about a day I've wished would never come...

The 1972 Miami Dolphins are the only team in NFL history to win a championship on the heels of an unbeaten, untied season. Their 17-0 campaign culminated with a 14-7 Super Bowl VII triumph over Washington. The 2005 Colts are still on track to become the NFL's first 19-0 team if they can ride their hot streak through Super Bowl XL in Detroit

While I try not to be a poor sport and hope a team will lose, (Well okay sometimes I do - lol) every year I pay attention to who is still unbeaten. I have to admit the Colts look pretty good. While Peyton isn't my favorite Manning he has been playing very well this year.

In the end, if the Miami record is going to be broken, I'd rather have it be by the Colts than say the Steelers or worse yet...Dallas..

:-)

One of the best places for information on the 1972 team

Sunday's ARGGG update: Okay, I said I was not going to pick Miami to win for my weekly football pool because every time I do they lose. Sigh...this week it looked very promising they could beat Buffalo - both teams are 4 and 7 - so far? THAT was a big mistake. (I will never ever ever ever ever pick Miami again) :-)



Ummm maybe I lied...Miami keeping me on the edge of my seat...WINS! :-)

7 comments:

historymike said...

I want Indy to lose the next three games so that Peyton Manning plays the whole fantasy season.

If they go 13-0, Dungy is going to start playing Manning only half a game.

Cyberseaer said...

OK Lisa, it is time to let this go. That goes for Shula and the remaining players from 1972. Hey, it was a great achievement, but it was also TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO!!!!!

You can't tell me that you actually though that they would hold the record forever? Well, you are a Dolphin fan...

I have let go my thought that Don Shula was responsible for the extra two game season in order to protect the precious record of his. If the Colts do it, great. If not, great. They don't care, they want the ring at the end. Since the Jets are out (though they can still win the AFC East, if they win out and New England loses out, with a 7-9 record. Yes I am overly optimistic and delusional, but if there is a glimmer of hope and goodness, I'm hanging on to it.) I hope that the Colts go all the way and win the Super Bowl, only because Payton Manning is that good of a quarterback. He is much better than Phil "let's run the ball" Simms.

Then there is a part of me that wants to see the Colts go undefeated into the big game and lose. That's the evil part of me.

Will the Colts go undefeated and show that they are superior to a bunch of 50+ year old men with the 19-0 record? I hope so just to piss of all 'Phin fans around the world. Other than that, I feel more emotion by changing my undies. In my 37 years on this earth (yesterday it would have been 36 years), this is one of the most stupid things that anyone could hold onto to make their lives worth meaning. They won the Super Bowl back then. Let it go.

That's just my opinion. :)

Cyberseaer said...

By the way, I suck at math. I meant 23 years ago.

Unknown said...

What makes it great still is that no one has broken it - if it was no big deal? Someone would have.

I like the Dolphins, I've been a fan since I was 10 (which was before the "perfect season").

That doesn't mean those men from that line up are superior to anyone or inferior to anyone. It's actually harder now to do what the Dolphins did.

So to me? This is more important than your undies.

Happy Birthday...

:-)

Unknown said...

ps...it was 33 years ago.

hehehe

:-)

Cyberseaer said...

Thank you and I told you that I suck at math.

But to me my undies are still more important than "the perfect season".

Hey, I bet the owner at the time didn't even give them a bonus for that achievement, because owners suck in the NFL. ;)

Unknown said...

Gee, I like this sports writer for some reason....lol

Time again to mock the 1972 Dolphins. Time to paint them as even grumpier, older men. Time to knock them for (a) living in the past by (b) bitterly clinging to their 17-0 record and (c) childishly rooting against the perfect-so-far Indianapolis Colts because (d) they don't want their otherwise empty lives diminished.

Yes, it's time for the national sports media to get busy, because this is a quick, easy and accepted storyline to spit out every football season. Throw in an age-specific word like Polident or Metamucil, get a bonus chuckle, too.

There's just one problem: None of it's true.

.....They're from a different sports era. Their bank accounts didn't swell just for showing up. Jim Langer, in the middle of a Hall of Fame career, worked as a bank teller in the offseason. Larry Little, another future Hall of Famer, had wanted a $2,000 raise to $20,000 in 1970.



Complete Article

Which is why? I still think the 1972 Dolphins are worth a hell of alot more than the Ricky Williams or the Terrell Owens who don't have a clue as to what the meaning of team means.

:-)