Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fair taxation?

The above linked website gives you all of the numbers per state from 1981 to 2003. While Ohio is finally in a situation since 2000 where it is receiving more Federal Tax money than is collected, $1.02 for 2003, I still take issue with this.

By using the below map originally designed for you to show each state you have visited, for our purposes here, each state in Red received more Federal Tax Dollars than collected. Each gray state with the exception of Florida and Oregon who received the same amount as collected, paid more in Federal Income tax than they received back in the form of Federal Spending for their state.



create your own personalized map of the USA
or check out ourCalifornia travel guide


The area that received the most was the District of Columbia - $6.59

The top ten states who received:

1. New Mexico - 1.99
2. Alaska - 1.89
3. Mississippi - 1.83
4. West Virginia - 1.82
5. North Dakota - 1.75
6. Georgia - 1.69
7. Alabama - 1.69
8. Montana - 1.60
9. Virginia - 1.58
10. Hawaii - 1.58

The top ten states who gave more than they received:

40. Delaware - .82
41. Colorado - .80
42. New York - .80
43. California - .78
44. Massachusetts - .78
45. Illionois - .73
46. Nevada - .70
47. Minnesota - .70
48. Connecticut - .65
49. New Hampshire - .64
50. New Jersey - .57

It's further interesting to note that of the top ten states that receive more in Federal Spending than is collected this information, the national average is 10.1%

1. New Mexico - Estimated at 9.9% of income, New Mexico’s state/local tax burden percentage ranks 29th highest nationally
2. Alaska - Estimated now at 6.4% of income, Alaska’s state/local tax burden percentage remains firmly entrenched as the lowest nationally
3. Mississippi - Estimated at 10.0% of income, Mississippi’s state/local tax burden percentage ranks 26th highest
4. West Virginia - Estimated at 10.5% of income, West Virginia’s state and local tax burden ranks 13th highest nationally
5. North Dakota - Estimated at 9.4% of income, North Dakota’s state/local tax burden percentage ranks 42nd
6. Georgia - Estimated at 9.8% of income, Georgia’s state/local tax burden percentage ranks 31st highest
7. Alabama - Estimated now at 8.7% of income, Alabama’s state/local tax burden percentage stands at 46th nationally
8. Montana - Estimated at 9.5% of income, Montana’s state and local tax burden percentage ranks 39th nationally
9. Virginia - Estimated at 9.7% of income, Virginia’s state/local tax burden percentage ranks 34th highest in the nation
10. Hawaii - Estimated at 11.5% of income, Hawaii’s state/local tax burden percentage ranks 3rd highest

There is alot more information at the above link, but I think this really gives us something to think about and it's obvious which States are really reaping the benefit of Federal Tax dollars yet not paying the national average. If nothing else? Tells us which states we should consider moving to....

:-)

shared at:

Third World County
Stuck on Stupid
Rempelia Prime
Right Wing Nation

7 comments:

Aaron said...

The Bush family can be relax a little since Florida and Texas weren't reaping in too much haa haa.

Unknown said...

I'll admit I did not expect Florida to be even. I also thought Texas would receive more than it collected but didn't expect it to be a large amount.

I figured DC and Alaska would be near the top, so at least my initial guessing on that was correct.

:-)

Unknown said...

I should also give Mike and Valbee credit for posting about the map, so I could use it for another purpose.

:-)

Cyberseaer said...

Gee, NJ gets the least Federal money for our taxes. And with Corizne in office, things will get worst. Not saying Forrester was better, but NJ is F--ked.

I just what to know when do I get my $0.46 back from these other states that are sucking me and my family dry. HUH? When? I want my cash from Hawaii now damnmmit!!!

Unknown said...

lol - I thought of you when I saw how much New Jersey paid versus what it got in return.

I don't have as much of an issue with states that at least tax the average national amount but Alaska may have higher property tax but they have no State Income tax or sales tax from what I understand.

To me that means if they want things like bridges? Maybe they should think about their own residents kicking in fairly before Federal Income tax dollars are used.

You know what an information geek I am so I spent alot of time at that website, they have all kinds of information.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Notice that the seat of political corruption (DC) got the most, and spread the rest around to buy the votes that they needed to keep themselves in power.

At least, that's how I'm gonna spin this ;-)

Unknown said...

Yes, they did get the lion's share and I wonder what we got for that dollar amount....