Saturday, April 30, 2005

Sigh....Movies and Me...

I promise myself every time I watch a movie I am told is "based on a real life situation" I will NOT research it this time.....no..nope...not going to...not this time....

Then...I do....

Rather than ruin it for all of you and have you be like my family who doesn't want to hear these things anymore I won't go into all of the gory details of all of the movies I have discovered are fabricated. I will say the most disappointing one for me was "Remember the Titans", because it was a favorite, one I watched many times before I got curious. (bad Lisa) Many of the true events would have been just as good as the fabricated ones in that situation.

The one that irritated me the most was "Men of Honor" the story of Carl Brashear, STOP reading if you don't want this spoiled for you....

Last chance...


Okay if you are still reading then you want to know that not only was Billy Sunday a fabrication but the whole dragged by a submarine thing didn't happen. Brashear also had more than one marriage and several children. He also didn't make it the first time and while the whole swimming on white swim day happened it wasn't considered a promotion. He did loose his leg and he did come back which would have been a good enough story without the "added" attractions. Though knowing that there was really no Billy Sunday it was a combined creation of several men thru Brasher's career I do accept the movie would not have been as moving without Billy Sunday.

Tonight was "Man on Fire", you think it's true don't you? That it really happened, after all they have the cute little bio info at the end of the movie that makes it look like John Creasy had an actual birth and death date....FRAUD!!! Not only did it not happen in Mexico, but the original author of the book stated that Creasy a favorite character's of his to write about is fictional and is based on several people. The original story (which another movie was made in 1987 same name) was based in Italy. It was the 1975 kidnapping of John Paul Getty III who was taken and had his ear cut off before his grandfather payed a ransom that was the "inspiration" for the original story.

Pinta gets changed to Pita and off we go to Mexico.....sigh....I love fiction movies too, so if it is fiction or so loosely based on real events that it really is fiction....just be honest with me Hollywood....don't disappoint me later when I find out you lied to me.

Now those of you who have read this know one of my weaknesses....yes this is how far I will go to see if things are accurate. Now I will go watch old episodes of Dark Shadows and tell myself...next time don't check....no...don't do it....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Them there moving picture things is meant for entertainment. So next time put the notebook and pencil away and grab some popcorn instead. Relax, Lisa...it's just a movie!

Unknown said...

yeah, that's what they tell me but if there is a difference between fact and fiction....

I don't like being told something is one then find out it's another....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lisa.